Get ready for an eight-month journey as your students become Jr. Ornithologists in our Bird Academy.
Each month a WBF educator will visit your classroom to teach students about the many different birds that live in or travel through NYC and the complexities they face in our urban habitat. Through unique games,presentations, activities, and live birds, students become knowledgeable and caring Jr. Ornithologists.
With the help of the WBF wildlife rehabilitation center and its patients, our monthly lessons work to encourage students to take an active role in making NYC a more hospitable place for wildlife. Topics include whatmakes a bird a bird, migration, habitat, nestlings and
- The Bird Academy is designed to work with NY Scope and Sequence standards and the Common Core curriculum. We are happy to tailor our lessons to fit the needs of your class.
- Every student has access to the Bird Academy website and blog, which features student observations and inquiries, along with links to interesting resources. The website provides the opportunity for students to engage in conversation with fellow Bird Academy participants from across NYC and allows students to connect with the WBF education team at any time.
- Each student receives a copy of Birds of New York Field Guide, their personal Observation Journal, and fun monthly take-home activities.
- Bird Academy includes an invitation for your class to visit The Wild Bird Fund Center.
- Bird Academy features live ambassador animals visiting your classroom.
- At the end of our year-long journey, each student will receive a personalized certificate of completion and a Jr. Ornithologist graduation folder filled with activities to encourage exploration throughout the summer